The Backend Developer will develop reliable, performant and scalable server-side web application microservice backend services in a scalable, containerized environment.
- Assist with the design and architecture for the backend for Terradepth’s Ocean Data Portal system.
- Write scalable web services that will run in a Cloud Native, Kubernetes containerized environment.
- Work with complex data models with an emphasis on Geospatial data.
- Performance oriented planning and design, low latency service development.
- Set up and write code for large-volume data pipelines.
- Follow good code testing practice, code coverage, code review and writing unit tests.
- Participate in the overall application lifecycle, the evaluation and selection of cloud utilities, standards, interface protocols, and software components and tools.
- Engage with the technical team, ensuring overall success and contribute to technical requirements documents and problem solutions.
- BS Degree in Computer Science and 3+ years direct experience in cloud backend web applications and services development, OR equivalent experience.
- Python, Go or a solid development track record and desire to learn these languages.
- Experience with Cloud Native, microservice development and design patterns.
- Experience working with a relational database, Postgres preferred.
- Familiarity with NoSQL database concepts and practices.
- Familiarity with automated tooling for CI/CD pipelines
Nice to Have But Not Required
- Experience with protocols such as OAuth, ZeroTrust environments.
- Programming in an event-based cloud environment.
- Experience working with GCP or AWS and its APIs.
- Web application development and session management.
- Interface with caches such as Redis.
- Experience with tools such as Jenkins, Chef, Ansible, Terraform.
- Experience with RabbitMQ, GCP Cloud Pub/Sub or other high-performance messaging.
- Database schema design with relational databases.
- Good to have a geospatial focus and experience with some of the related tools
Familiarity with Esri products.
- A desire and ability to backend services for Google Maps / Earth like frontends.
- 99% Company-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Unlimited PTO
- Work-life balance
- WFH Flexible
Additional Tidbits You May Find Interesting
Located in Austin, Texas we are a company of about 30 employees with a wide array of skills, abilities, knowledge, and insight. We believe in investing in others and continual learning for ourselves. Challenging the status quo and exploring alternatives? Yes, please! Have a question? Bring it. Outside the box thinker? Tell us what’s on your mind. Team-player, knowledge seeker and mad skilled mentor who pays it forward, brings ideas and engages in innovate thought processes… now you’re speaking our language!
We work in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment. Moving and responding on a dime, multi-tasking and adjusting is critical to success. There can be multiple projects with various timeframes. If you are disorganized, that may be an issue. In summary, problem solving, working under pressure, and adapting to fluctuating priorities and timelines is part of who we are and what we do each and every day.